Pages

Guided Math Set Up



For me, math begins with whole group instruction. This is usually a 20-30 minute lesson, introducing a new objective for the day. I like to use the gradual release model when teaching whole group. (I do, we do, you do, you do.) First I model. (I do) Then, I have students help me solve a problem. (We do) Next, students work with a group or partner on a problem. (You do) Last, students complete an independent practice. (You do) Usually the independent practice is a quick ticket out the door style problem. I use these to form my flexible groups, which leads me to the next part of my math block.

Guided Math/Small Group Math/Math Rotations
Call it whatever you may, this is the time of day where I meet with my students in small targeted groups. Students are busy working in all parts of my room, most of them in centers. I do not have set rotations where I ring a bell and students move to the next group. I have found that that does not work for me during a math block because students skill levels vary so much. Instead, there are 5 big components to my Guided Math time.

I use targeted lesson plans that focus on a specific objective.

I can keep track of how successful my class is with each day's lesson by color coding the unit overview sheet. Save every unit overview and when its time to review for state testing, it is easy to know exactly what objectives to spend the most time reinforcing. 


1. Teacher time--I work with students in small groups (that I form based on their skill level on a certain objective) These are FLEXIBLE groups, meaning I pull students in and out of them all the time. They are not set groups. The simple reason being, a student who is great with geometry might really struggle with addition and subtraction. I use the information I gather from my students independent work in whole group math to set up my groups. During teacher time I target students to help grow them in a certain skill. 

I usually start with my middle kids...you know, the kids who are inconsistent with the objective. They kind of get it--but aren't 100% sure how or why they are solving a problem a certain way. Normally I have found that this group of kids need a little extra practice and direction from me before they are ready to try it on their own again. 

The next group I pull in are my high flyers. This is usually very brief since they have already shown mastery of a skill. I use this quick check in time to make sure that they really DO get it and are comfortable with the objective. Once I am sure of this, I give them an enrichment activity to go work on. 

The last group I pull is my group of students who are really struggling with the objective. I pull them last because I like to spend the most time supporting them. Also, by this time if a student from my first group is still having a hard time with something, they have probably come to me for support. Now, I can add them to my last group and give them another dose of targeted instruction.




 Vocabulary and Definition cards go in pocket charts for us to reference during the lesson. I also include any posters or essential questions we'll be using that day.


I use a variety of hands on tools to help students with the standards.



What are kids doing when they are not working with me?

2. Skill practice--This is usually a longer form of independent work that students will turn into me. It may be a practice page or some other activity that can be turned in for me to check later. Students work on this independently, at their seats and turn it in when they finish.







3. Fluency--I have limited technology in my room so students have to take turns. I like for all of my students to get their green check mark on XtraMath every day. The computers must always be in use in my classroom. As soon as one student finishes, they get another student to log on. (The only students who do not go log on are the students who are at my table. They wait until it is time for them to be working without me.) If students are done with their skill practice and have turned it in, they can also practice math fluency using a wipe off sheet they keep in their desks. This is a fact practice sheet inside a sheet protector that they write on with an expo marker.

4. Centers--Once students have finished their skill practice, turned it in, and have completed fluency (or are waiting to complete fluency) they work in centers. I use my Common Core Math Centers and keep them in a bucket all year. Students practice these centers often and it helps keep the standards fresh in their heads all year long.



5. Extension Activities--Another option for students who have completed their skill practice and fluency is to work on enrichment activities. This can be a writing activity that has to do with our math objective, a puzzle, or a math game. These activities all go with the objective we are working on for the day.




 


At the end of a math unit, I like to take some time to reflect. I write down my green, yellow, and red students and make any notes about the class performance as a whole. If there is something I know I need to spend time spiral reviewing the rest of the year, I make note of it here. At the bottom of the page I make notes about my teaching. If there is something my kids struggled to understand, maybe I need to spend some time looking at different ways to teach/articulate it. Also, if there is something I want to be sure to do different next year, I write it here as well. This helps me refine my teaching practice over the years. Next year, I can pull out this sheet before I teach the unit to have a better idea for how I can teach my next class.


For more resources to use during your math block check out, 3rd Grade Guided Math, 4th Grade Guided Math, and 5th Grade Guided Math!
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/3rd-Grade-Guided-Math-The-Bundle-2633372https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/4th-Grade-Guided-Math-The-Bundle-2740253

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/5th-Grade-Guided-Math-The-Bundle-3120124

19 comments:

  1. WOW! I just stumbled on your blog from Pinterest. I LOVE this bundle!! I have it in my shopping cart now. I am your new follower. Great resources!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Stephanie! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. This product has been heaven on earth! The organization of the units, the activities, the lesson plans...ALL OF IT, I love! You are creating wonderful products. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cassandra, I am looking for a new way to run my math time (yours is close to mine but a little different, and I'm thinking that maybe the change I need), and I was wondering how long is your entire math block? I'm trying to figure out what my timing would look like compared to the model you've outlined. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer. I have 90 minutes for my math block. 20-30 spent on the whole group lesson and the remainder of time is spent in small groups doing guided math. Let me know if you have any other questions!

      Delete
  4. This is the BEST math pack I have seen. I'm so glad you have a 4th grade one! It is in my cart! I also LOVE all of you parent helpers and especially that they are in Spanish too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell me more about the "parent helpers" in Spanish, please! Thinking about buying your bundle! Thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! Parent helpers explain common core to parents. You can check them out here: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Thrifty-In-Third-Grade/Category/Parent-Helpers-252784
      Let me know if you have any other questions!

      Delete
  6. Hi there! I am so eager to purchase your 4th graded Guided Math set, as I am starting Guided Math for the first time this year. I do have a question... do you meet with each group every day at the small group table? Or do you meet with one group per day? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each group every day. BUT I do not have a set amount of time with each group. As I explain in this post, it could be a very quick check in with my high students, and more time with my other groups. I just give my students a one minute warning so they can clean up what they are doing if they know they are coming to me next.

      Delete
  7. I was so excited to see a blog with resources for 5th grade Guided Math, and I love the way you organize your small groups (allowing more time for your struggling learners and not setting a specific time for each group); however, when I click on the link, the products aren't available. I was just wondering why. Thank you in advance for your response!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa! I am launching 5th Grade Guided Math on June 17th. The links will be active starting that day! Let me know if you have any other questions!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for creating this resource for 5th grade! I have looked for guided math units for this grade level for the last 2-3 years to no avail. I reviewed the bundles you created for the other grade levels, and it is obvious how much time, dedication, and effort went into them. You have just made my summer MUCH more relaxing and carefree!! I can't wait to purchase these!

      Delete
    3. Lisa, thank you so much for your kind words! They mean a lot to me! I am glad to help you have a relaxing summer!

      Delete
  8. Hi! Love this resource! Just wondering if you have ever had to work in a slit class? I would love to implement guided math, but I will be teaching a combination of Grade 3 and 4 next year and I was wondering if you had any experience with that?

    Thanks!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina! I have not ever taught a split class, but I have talked to some teachers that have used the 3rd and 4th grade guided math units together to do this. Instead of doing whole group time, I would definitely do all of your math instruction in small groups. I would recommend grouping your students by grade level and using the activities included in the bundles to keep your students learning when they are not with you. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'd be happy to talk more with you about how this could work in your classroom. Thriftyinthirdgrade@gmail.com

      Delete
  9. I will be teaching 5th grade Eureka/Engage NY math in the fall. This is the second year using this curriculum. Does your 5th grade Guided Math activities align to Eureka at all? I have it in my shopping cart but hoping to hear your thoughts before I actually purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen! I have personally never worked with those curriculums, but teachers who have used the 3rd and 4th grade versions have told me they have used the Guided Math units to supplement their curriculum. There is so much included in the units and it aligns to common core. It might benefit you just having all the activities and games for your students to use! (There is one for every day!) Please let me know if you have any other questions. You can also email me at thriftyinthirdgrade@gmail.com

      Delete